Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

How To Do The Vince Gironda Lateral Raise

Posted by: Ron

Nothing is as impressive as broad shoulders with a tight waist and you can broaden your shoulders by correctly performing lateral raises

Perform the dumbbell lateral raises correctly

There's been a lot of controversy about how to properly perform lateral raises.  Vince has explained it in numerous articles already.  Most of you are familiar with keeping your pinky higher than the thumb and imagining "pouring the water" out of the bell closer to your thumb.

Here's an excerpt from one of Vince Gironda's articles about the delts and the correct way of performing lateral raises:

"The beginning part of the lateral raise is to touch all four bells together in front of the thighs with the elbows bent slightly - arms are never straight or locked. Also, as you raise the bells to the side they stay out in front of the body and must not travel backward parallel with the body. The last part of the raise: Never raise the bells higher than the ears because if you do the trapezius assists by drawing the deltoid closer to the head (hunching movement)." - Vince Gironda

I bolded a really important point: You want to keep the hands slightly in front of the body, roughly 20 degrees, throughout the whole movement to keep the humerus in the scapular plane, forcing all the work to be done onto the lateral head instead of the front head of the delts.  This also prevents you wearing away your scapulohumeral joint overtime.

I also highlighted the the fact that you should never raise your hands higher than your ears.  I often see bodybuilders hoisting much heavier weights than they should, for lateral raises.  Their form is terrible and their shoulders narrow most of the time.

Form and technique over weight (quality over quantity) win hands down in this case.  Think of it as a "concentration raise".  Put as much focus into it as you do into your concentration curls.

Avoid using heavy weights until you have the form perfected.  Once you do, you just might need to turn sideways as you enter through doors.

Try dropping the weight you use for lateral raises and also raise the dumbbell at half the speed you normally would and let me know in the comments below how much more you can isolate and feel the lateral head of your deltoids working.

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription